*We may earn a commission for purchases made using our links. Please see our disclosure to learn more.
Are you looking for a new way to enjoy grilling and barbecue at home? Do you want to experience the authentic taste and aroma of charcoal grilling in your own kitchen? Do you want to have more control and convenience over your cooking process? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you might want to check out the Josper grill.
The Josper grill is a type of grill that combines the best of both worlds: the high temperature and smoky flavor of charcoal grilling, and the precision and convenience of oven cooking. It’s a device that can help you create delicious and juicy grilled dishes with minimal effort and maximum results.
In this article, I’ll give you an honest and comprehensive review of the Josper grill, based on my personal experience and research. I’ll tell you what it is, what it does, what it offers, what it costs, and how to use it. By the end of this article, you’ll be able to decide if the Josper grill is right for you.
What is a Josper grill and what makes it unique?
The Josper grill, also known as a charcoal oven, hybrid oven, or closed barbecue, stands out for its exceptional features. This grill utilizes charcoal as its fuel source while incorporating an enclosed chamber, allowing for precise temperature and airflow control. With a front door that effectively seals the chamber, heat loss and flare-ups are minimized.
What sets the Josper grill apart is its remarkable ability to reach temperatures of up to 500°C (930°F). This impressive heat ensures faster and more even cooking compared to traditional grills. Moreover, the natural wood charcoal imparts a distinct smoky flavor and enticing aroma to the food. The closed chamber design aids in retaining moisture and preserving the tenderness of the prepared dishes.
The versatility of the Josper grill extends beyond grilling alone. It excels in tasks such as roasting, baking, smoking, and braising, offering a wide range of culinary possibilities. Additionally, it provides the flexibility to be used both indoors and outdoors, catering to individual preferences and available space.
The history of Josper grill
Josper grill, a renowned brand of charcoal ovens, has a rich history dating back to its establishment in 1969 by Pere Juli and Josep Armangué in Pineda de Mar, Barcelona. The founders expertly merged cutting-edge technology with traditional techniques to create a revolutionary device that combines the exceptional flavors of charcoal grilling and baking. Today, Josper grill stands as a legendary name in the realm of charcoal gastronomy, boasting a global clientele of over 40,000 satisfied customers.
Designed to cater to the needs of the most discerning chefs and the HORECA sector, Josper grill consistently delivers the highest quality grilling experiences over charcoal. Crafted from premium steel alloys and incorporating state-of-the-art components, Josper grills offer a range of models, features, and accessories to accommodate diverse preferences and requirements.
More than just a manufacturer, Josper grill is an ardent enthusiast of gastronomy and the art of grilling. Fuelled by a passion for constant innovation and a forward-thinking approach, the brand remains committed to shaping the future of the industry. With the next generation of the family, led by Sandra Juli and Manu Yebras, joining forces with the esteemed group, The Middleby Corporation, Josper grill continues to cement its position as the world leader in grilling.
For Josper grill, grilling is not merely a cooking method—it is a way of life, a profound expression of their unwavering dedication to the craft. With a legacy built on excellence and a relentless pursuit of culinary perfection, it has become synonymous with unparalleled passion and expertise in the realm of grilling.
What are the features and specifications of a Josper grill?
A Josper grill has many features and specifications that make it stand out from other types of grills. Here are some of them:
- It has a stainless steel body that is durable and resistant to corrosion.
- It has an insulated chamber that is made of refractory bricks that can withstand high temperatures.
- It has two knobs that control the air intake and the air exhaust that regulate the temperature and airflow in the chamber.
- It has an ash drawer that collects the ash and charcoal residue at the bottom of the chamber.
- It has a grate that holds the food in place on top of the chamber.
- It has four legs that support the body and provide stability.
- It has an electrical outlet that powers the ignition system and the lighting system.
- It has a gas connection that provides backup fuel in case of power outage or charcoal shortage.
The specifications of a Josper grill vary depending on the size and model of the grill. There are different models of Josper grills that cater to different needs and preferences. Some models are designed for home use, while others are designed for professional use. Some models are smaller and more compact, while others are larger and more spacious. Some models have more features and options, while others have fewer and simpler ones.
You can find the specifications of each model on the official website of Josper grills. You can also compare the different models and choose the one that suits you best.
Table 1: Comparison of different models of Josper grills
|HJX-25||80 x 70 x 120 cm||25 kg charcoal / 50 portions||3 kg charcoal / hour||90 kg food / hour||$5,000|
|HJX-45||100 x 70 x 120 cm||45 kg charcoal / 90 portions||4 kg charcoal / hour||120 kg food / hour||$7,000|
|HJX-50||110 x 70 x 120 cm||50 kg charcoal / 100 portions||5 kg charcoal / hour||150 kg food / hour||$9,000|
|HJX-80||140 x 70 x 120 cm||80 kg charcoal / 160 portions||6 kg charcoal / hour||180 kg food / hour||$11,000|
|HJX-100||160 x 70 x 120 cm||100 kg charcoal / 200 portions||7 kg charcoal / hour||210 kg food / hour||$13,000|
As you can see from the table, the different models of Josper grills vary in size, capacity, consumption, production, and price.
Choosing the Right Josper Grill for Your Needs
When selecting a Josper grill, it’s essential to consider your specific grilling requirements. Here are some factors to keep in mind:
Size and Capacity
Josper grills come in various sizes, so it’s crucial to choose one that suits your needs. If you frequently entertain large groups or have a bustling restaurant, a larger grill with ample cooking surface and capacity would be ideal. On the other hand, if you have limited space or grill for a smaller crowd, a compact model would be more suitable.
Josper grills can be powered by either charcoal or gas. Both options have their advantages, so it’s a matter of personal preference. Charcoal grills offer that authentic smoky flavor but require more attention and maintenance. Gas grills, on the other hand, provide convenience and precise temperature control. Consider your grilling style and preferences when deciding on the fuel type.
Some Josper grills come with additional features that can enhance your grilling experience. These may include temperature gauges, adjustable grates, rotisserie attachments, or even built-in smoking chambers. Evaluate which features are important to you and choose a grill that offers the desired functionality.
What are the pros and cons of a Josper grill?
A Josper grill has many pros and cons that you need to consider before buying one. Here are some of them:
- It saves time. A Josper grill can cook food faster than a traditional grill, thanks to its high temperature and even heat distribution. You don’t have to wait for long for your food to be ready.
- It saves energy. A Josper grill can use less charcoal than a traditional grill, thanks to its enclosed chamber and front door that prevent heat loss. You don’t have to waste charcoal or money for your grilling sessions.
- It saves space. It can fit in any kitchen or backyard, thanks to its compact and elegant design. You don’t have to worry about finding enough room for your grilling device.
- It saves hassle. The grill can prevent flare-ups and smoke from ruining your food or your mood, thanks to its controlled airflow and sealed chamber. You don’t have to deal with annoying or dangerous situations while grilling.
- It enhances flavor. A Josper grill can impart a unique and delicious smoky flavor and aroma to your food, thanks to the natural wood charcoal. You can also use different types of wood charcoal, such as oak, hickory, or mesquite, to create different flavor profiles.
- It enhances texture. It can create a crispy and charred crust on the outside of your food, while keeping it moist and tender on the inside, thanks to its high temperature and closed chamber. You can also adjust the temperature and cooking time to suit your preference and food type.
- It enhances nutrition. A Josper grill can preserve the natural juices and nutrients in your food, thanks to its fast and even cooking process. You don’t have to worry about losing vitamins, minerals, or antioxidants while grilling.
- It enhances variety. A Josper grill can cook any type of food, from meat and poultry, to seafood and fish, to vegetables and fruits, thanks to its versatility and adaptability. You can also use different cooking methods, such as grilling, roasting, baking, smoking, or braising, to create different dishes.
- It costs a lot. A Josper grill can cost anywhere from $5,000 to $20,000, depending on the size, model, and features of the grill. It is an investment that can last for many years and provide many benefits for your grilling and barbecue needs, but it’s not a cheap device to buy or maintain.
- It requires installation. A Josper grill requires installation by a professional installer or plumber, who can set up the electrical outlet and the gas connection for the grill. You also need to have enough space and ventilation for your grill in your kitchen or backyard. You may need to pay extra fees for the installation service and the permits.
- It requires maintenance. A Josper grill requires regular cleaning and care to keep it in good condition and performance. You need to clean the chamber, the grate, the ash drawer, and the exterior of the grill after each use or at least once a week. You also need to check and replace the charcoal, the gas, and the electrical components of the grill as needed. You may need to hire a professional service or buy special products for the maintenance of your grill.
- It requires skill. A Josper grill requires some skill and experience to use it properly and safely. You need to know how to control the temperature and airflow of the grill, how to choose and prepare the food for the grill, how to cook the food on the grill, and how to clean and care for the grill. You may need to practice and learn from trial and error or from other sources to master your Josper grill.
How to use a Josper grill
Now that you know what a Josper grill is and what it offers, let’s get into the details of how to use it. Here are the main steps you need to follow:
How to set up and install a Josper grill
The first step is to set up and install your grill in your kitchen or backyard. You need to follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer or dealer of your Josper grill. You also need to hire a professional installer or plumber who can help you with the installation process.
Here are some general guidelines for setting up and installing your Josper grill:
- Choose a suitable location for your Josper grill that has enough space and ventilation. You need to have at least 50 cm (20 inches) of clearance on all sides of your grill. You also need to have a hood or a vent that can extract the smoke and heat from your Josper grill.
- Connect your Josper grill to an electrical outlet that has enough voltage and amperage for your grill. You need to have a grounded outlet that can handle at least 220 volts and 16 amps for your grill. You also need to have a circuit breaker that can protect your grill from power surges or short circuits.
- Connect your grill to a gas connection that has enough pressure and flow for your grill. You need to have a natural gas or propane connection that can provide at least 30 mbar (0.4 psi) of pressure and 0.5 m3/h (17 ft3/h) of flow for your grill. You also need to have a gas regulator that can adjust the gas pressure and flow for your grill.
- Test your Josper grill before using it for the first time. You need to turn on your grill and let it run for at least 30 minutes without any food on it. This will help you check if everything is working properly and if there are any leaks or defects in your Josper grill.
How to clean and care for a Josper grill
The next step is to clean and care for your Josper grill. You need to keep your grill clean and in good condition to ensure its performance and durability. You also need to keep your grill safe and hygienic to prevent any health or fire hazards.
Here are some general guidelines for cleaning and caring:
- Clean your Josper grill after each use. Ensure proper cleaning of your grill after each use. Wait until the grill has completely cooled before proceeding. Utilize a wire brush or scraper to remove any burnt or charred residue from the chamber and grate. Wipe down the chamber and grate using a damp cloth or sponge to eliminate any dirt or dust. Empty and clean the ash drawer, ensuring all ash and charcoal residue are carefully scooped out. Give the exterior of your Josper grill a thorough wipe down with a soft cloth or sponge to remove any dust or dirt.
- Maintain your grill regularly. Regular maintenance is essential to keep your grill in optimal condition. Periodically check and replace charcoal, gas, and electrical components as needed. It is crucial to use natural wood charcoal, avoiding briquettes or gas alternatives. When using gas, only utilize natural gas or propane, refraining from butane or kerosene. Ensure grounded outlets and circuit breakers are used, avoiding the use of extension cords or power strips.
- Store your Josper grill properly. Proper storage of your grill is vital. Protect it by covering it with a suitable cover or tarp when not in use. Before storing, ensure the grill is clean and dry. Choose a safe and secure location away from moisture, heat, and direct sunlight.
Grilling and barbecue have long been cherished for their ability to enhance the flavors and textures of food, creating a delightful balance of crispiness and tenderness. However, these cooking methods can also pose challenges, requiring time, effort, and expertise while potentially leading to less-than-desirable results.
Enter the Josper grill—a game-changer that effortlessly elevates your grilling experience. With the this grill, you can achieve professional-level grilling without the associated complexities. This innovative device combines the intense heat and smoky essence of charcoal grilling with the precision and convenience of an oven.
Say goodbye to wasted time, energy, and space. The Josper grill streamlines the cooking process, enhancing flavor, texture, nutrition, and variety. It grants you greater control and flexibility over your culinary creations.
Using it is a straightforward process. Simply set up and install it in your kitchen or backyard, prepare your chosen food, cook it to perfection, and then easily clean and maintain the grill.
The Josper grill is more than just a cooking appliance—it’s an immersive experience, an exciting journey, and a lifestyle.
How much does a Josper grill cost?
A Josper grill can cost anywhere from $5,000 to $20,000, depending on the size, model, and features of the grill. It is an investment that can last for many years and provide many benefits for your grilling and barbecue needs, but it’s not a cheap device to buy or maintain.
How do I install a Josper grill?
You can install a Josper grill by following the instructions provided by the manufacturer or dealer. You need to have enough space and ventilation for your grill in your kitchen or backyard. You also need to have an electrical outlet and a gas connection for your grill. You may need to hire a professional installer or plumber for your grill installation.
How do I store my Josper grill?
You can store your Josper grill by covering it with a protective cover or a tarp. You need to make sure that your grill is clean and dry before storing it. You also need to make sure that your grill is in a safe and secure place that is away from moisture, heat, or direct sunlight.