*We may earn a commission for purchases made using our links. Please see our disclosure to learn more.
For enthusiasts of grilled and smoked cuisine, achieving the signature tender texture and deep flavor in meats like ribs, brisket, pulled pork, and chicken at home is a culinary delight. The secret to consistently safe, delicious, and flavorful outcomes? How do you choose the right equipment, the right wood, the right temperature, and the right time to smoke your meat? The answer is straightforward: investing in a top-notch smoker.
The answer is simple: you need a Southern Pride Smoker.
A smoker crafted by Southern Pride isn’t merely a grill or oven. It is a sophisticated piece of equipment that embodies technology, craftsmanship, and a deep passion for grilling perfection. In the lines that follow, we’ll explore the essentials about these devices – diving into their history, distinctive features, benefits, and varied applications. Furthermore, you’ll discover favorite recipes and valuable tips to maximize the utility of your equipment, readying you to join the ranks of devoted grill aficionados who are #CookingWithPride. Southern Pride BBQ pits and smokers are manufactured in the USA and are in operation in some of the world’s leading BBQ & smokehouse restaurants and supermarket chains.
What is a Southern Pride Smoker?
Crafted for both avid BBQ enthusiasts and seasoned professionals, the smoker from Southern Pride is a commercial-grade, high-quality piece renowned for its exceptional performance in delivering delightful smoked dishes. With a foundation in advanced technology and traditional techniques, it offers reliable temperature regulation, expansive cooking space, efficient fuel consumption, and diverse cooking possibilities. This device, a symbol of a committed lifestyle to quality grilling, originates from a family-run business based in the USA since 1976, ensuring each unit is made with diligence and pride.
My passion for barbecue
Before we dive into the specifics of Southern Pride smokers, let me share my deep-rooted passion for BBQ and smoking. There’s something truly magical about the process of slow-cooking meat over wood-fired heat, infusing it with mouthwatering flavors. As an enthusiast, I’ve experimented with various techniques and equipment, but Southern Pride smokers have become my go-to choice for their exceptional performance and consistent results.
The history and features of Southern Pride Smokers
The story begins with Mike Robertson, a farmer and engineer who had a passion for barbecue. He wanted to create a Machine that could cook large amounts of meat without losing moisture or flavor. He experimented with different designs and materials until he came up with his first prototype in 1976. He called it the “Southern Pride” because he was proud of his creation and his heritage.
Since then, Mike and his sons have continued to improve and innovate their devices, incorporating new technologies and features to meet the needs and expectations of their customers.
Some of these features include:
- A patented wood chip delivery system that automatically feeds wood chips into the firebox at regular intervals, ensuring a steady supply of smoke and eliminating the need for manual loading.
- A digital thermostat that controls the temperature inside the device with precision and accuracy, allowing for consistent cooking results every time.
- A Blower that circulates hot air and smoke throughout the chamber, ensuring even heat distribution and faster cooking times.
- A stainless steel construction that is durable, easy to clean, and resistant to rust and corrosion.
- A variety of models and sizes that can accommodate different capacities, room, and budgets.
The benefits of using a Southern Pride Smoker
Using a Southern Pride Smoker has many benefits for both professional and home cooks.
Some of these benefits include:
- Saving time and money by cooking large batches of meat in one go instead of multiple smaller batches.
- Saving energy by using less fuel than traditional devices or grills.
- Saving labor by eliminating the need for constant monitoring or adjusting of the smoker.
- Enhancing flavor by infusing meat with natural smoke from real wood chips instead of artificial flavorings or liquid smoke.
- Improving texture by retaining moisture and tenderness in the meat instead of drying it out or overcooking it.
- Increasing versatility by being able to cook different types of meat as well as other foods such as cheese, pizza, salmon, etc.
- Impressing guests by serving them restaurant-quality barbecue at home or at your event.
How to Choose the Right Southern Pride Smoker for Your Needs?
If you are interested in buying one for yourself or your business, you might be wondering how to choose the right one for your needs. There are many factors to consider when making this decision, such as:
The different types of Southern Pride Smokers
The manufactorer offers three categories of machines:
- Electric smokers: These use electricity as their main source of heat. They are ideal for indoor use or where gas or wood is not available or allowed. They are also easy to operate and maintain. However, they might not produce as much smoke or flavor as gas or wood smokers.
- Gas smokers: They use gas (propane or natural gas) as their main source of heat. They are ideal for outdoor use or where electricity is not available or reliable. They also produce more smoke and flavor than electric ones. However, they might require more fuel and maintenance than electric smokers.
- Mobile smokers: These are mounted on trailers or trucks that can be towed or driven around. They are ideal for catering events or competitions where mobility and flexibility are required. They can be either electric or gas smokers depending on your preference.
Table 1 shows the main features and differences of the electric, gas, and mobile smokers:
|Type||Model||Capacity||Power Source||Wood Chip Delivery System||Firebox||Fan||Digital Thermostat||Price Range|
|Electric||SC-300||136 kg (300 lbs)||220V/50Hz/1Ph or 3Ph||Automatic wood chip delivery system with 4 kg (9 lbs) capacity||N/A||Yes||Yes||$8,000 – $10,000|
|Gas||MLR-150||68 kg (150 lbs)||Natural gas or propane gas (0.5 mbar) and 220V/50Hz/1Ph or 3Ph for convection fan and thermostat control||N/A||Firebox with 2.7 kg (6 lbs) capacity for wood logs or chunks||Yes||Yes||$10,000 – $12,000|
|Gas||SPX-300||136 kg (300 lbs)||Natural gas or propane gas (0.5 mbar) and 220V/50Hz/1Ph or 3Ph for convection fan and thermostat control||N/A||Firebox with 2.7 kg (6 lbs) capacity for wood logs or chunks||Yes||Yes||$12,000 – $14,000|
|Gas||SRG-400||181 kg (400 lbs)||Natural gas or propane gas (0.5 mbar) and 220V/50Hz/1Ph or 3Ph for convection fan and thermostat control||N/A||Firebox with 2.7 kg (6 lbs) capacity for wood logs or chunks||Yes||Yes||$14,000 – $16,000|
|Gas||SPK-500||227 kg (500 lbs)||N/A||Firebox with 2.7 kg (6 lbs) capacity for wood logs or chunks||Yes||Yes||$16,000 – $18,000|
|Gas||SP-700||318 kg (700 lbs)||N/A||Firebox with 2.7 kg (6 lbs) capacity for wood logs or chunks|
The factors to consider when buying a Southern Pride Smoker
Apart from the type you want, there are other factors to consider:
- Capacity: This refers to how much meat you can cook at once in your smoker. You should choose a device that can accommodate your expected demand without wasting space or fuel. For example, if you are cooking for a small family or group of friends at home, you might want a smaller smoker such as the SC-300 (which can hold up to 100 lbs of meat). If you are cooking for a large restaurant or event venue, you might want a larger smoker such as the SPK-1400 (which can hold up to 1400 lbs of meat).
- Space: This refers to how much room you have available for your device in your kitchen or backyard. You should choose a smoker that can fit comfortably in your space without obstructing traffic or violating safety codes. For example, if you have limited place indoors, you might want an electric smoker such as the SC-300 (which measures 36″ x 30″ x 72″). If you have ample space outdoors, you might want a gas smoker such as the SPK-500 (which measures 72″ x 42″ x 84″).
- Budget: This refers to how much money you are willing to spend on your smoker and its associated costs such as fuel, wood chips, maintenance, etc. You should choose a machine that fits within your budget without compromising quality or performance. For example, if you have a tight budget, you might want an electric smoker such as the SC-300 (which costs around $6,000). If you have a generous budget, you might want a gas smoker such as the SPK-1400 (which costs around $30,000).
Based on my experience and expert opinions, here are some top recommendations:
Southern Pride SPK-500 Gas Fired Wood‐Burning Rotisserie Smoker – 120V
The SPK-500 is a versatile smoker suitable for both commercial and residential use. With its large cooking capacity and advanced temperature control, it offers exceptional performance for BBQ enthusiasts of all levels. Crafted for utmost accessibility, the SPK-500 boasts a rotisserie system that can be effortlessly activated using either the rotisserie advance button or the hands-free rotisserie foot pedal. Easy Cleaning and maintaining proper airflow are a breeze with the fan access door, permitting external access to the fan blade, thus preventing fan motor issues.
When it comes to top-tier, high-capacity gas smoking and barbequing, the Southern Pride SPK-500 stainless steel gas rotisserie smoker, boasting 75,000 BTU, stands as the ideal choice! The convection air system utilizes a 22 kW burner that ignites 2-3 fireplace-sized logs to heat the smoker cabinet and the firebox to the required temperature for achieving maximum texture, aroma, and delightful flavors. The blower draws smoke from the firebox and evenly circulates it throughout the cooking cabinet, while the Subterthermic flue enhances smoky flavor and heat efficiency while reducing wood consumption.
Southern Pride MLR-150 Natural Gas‐Fired Wood Burning Rotisserie Smoker – 120V
The MLR-150 is a compact and efficient smoker perfect for smaller gatherings and backyard barbecues. Despite its size, it doesn’t compromise on performance. It features a programmable controller, a built-in smoke extractor, and ample cooking space to cater to your smoking needs.
The MLR 150 revolutionizes cooking by offering an automatic self-basting feature that elevates the flavor and texture of your dishes. Working seamlessly alongside the convection system, the rotisserie takes care of product rotation, relieving you of the need to turn it during the cooking process. Moreover, the thoughtfully designed food racks ensure swift removal and effortless cleaning.
Southern Pride SRG-400
If you’re looking for a smoker with added grilling capabilities, the SRG-400 is an excellent choice. It combines the functionalities of a smoker and a grill, allowing you to smoke, sear, and grill your favorite meats with ease. Its versatile design and superior temperature control make it a favorite among barbecue enthusiasts.
What truly makes the SRG-400 shine is its exceptional temperature control. You have the precision to fine-tune the heat to your exact specifications, ensuring that your culinary creations come out consistently perfect every time. Whether you’re slow-smoking a rack of ribs, searing a juicy steak, or grilling tender chicken, the SRG-400 is your trusted companion for achieving culinary excellence.
Southern Pride SC-200
For those who prioritize portability without compromising on quality, the SC-200 is an ideal option. This compact smoker is designed for easy transport, making it perfect for tailgating, camping trips, or small-scale events. It delivers the same outstanding results as its larger counterparts, ensuring you can enjoy a flavorful barbecue wherever you go. The digital thermostat allows you to select cooking temperatures ranging from 80°F to 325°F (27°C to 163°C), set cook times, and establish hold temperatures while ensuring a consistent temperature throughout the entire cooking process.
How to Use and Maintain Your Device
Once you’ve chosen and purchased it, you may be eager to start using it immediately. However, before you do so, it’s important to familiarize yourself with the proper usage and maintenance of your smoker. This will ensure that you achieve the best results and extend the lifespan of your equipment.
The following are the basic steps to set up and operate your Southern Pride Smoker:
- Placement: Ensure that it is placed on a level surface, away from flammable materials or sources of ignition.
- Power Connection: Connect your smoker to the appropriate power source (electricity or gas) in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications.
- Water Pan: Fill the water pan with water as instructed by the manufacturer. This helps create steam and moisture inside, enhancing the cooking process.
- Wood Chip Box: Fill the wood chip box with your preferred type of wood chips, following the manufacturer’s instructions. These chips will provide the smoke and flavor for your meat.
- Temperature Setting: Set the thermostat to your desired temperature based on the type and size of meat you’re cooking. For temperature recommendations, consult the cooking guide provided by the manufacturer.
- Seasoning: Season your meat with your preferred rub or seasoning. You can also choose to inject or marinate the meat for additional flavor and juiciness.
- Meat Placement: Place your meat on the racks inside the smoker, ensuring there is enough room between them for proper air circulation. Begin loading the bottom racks first and work your way up.
- Cooking Process: Close the door and allow it to work its magic. Avoid frequent opening of the door, as this can lead to heat and smoke loss. Trust the machine to cook your meat to perfection.
- Resting and Serving: Once your meat is cooked, remove it from the smoker and let it rest for a few minutes before serving or slicing. Enjoy the mouthwatering flavors of your smoked meat with your favorite sauce and complementary sides.
By following these steps and maintaining your Southern Pride Smoker properly, you’ll be able to unleash its full potential and create delicious barbecue experiences.
The tips and tricks to get the best results from your Southern Pride Smoker
Using it is easy and straightforward, but there are some tips and tricks that can help you get even better results from your smoker. Here are some of them:
- Experiment with different types of wood chips to find your favorite flavor combination. Some popular choices are hickory, mesquite, apple, cherry, oak, etc. You can also mix different types of wood chips for a more complex flavor profile.
- Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of your meat and ensure that it is cooked to your liking and safe to eat. Different cuts of meat have different recommended temperatures for doneness and safety. For example, pork ribs should be cooked to at least 145°F, while beef brisket should be cooked to at least 195°F.
- Wrap your meat in foil or butcher paper after a few hours of smoking to prevent it from drying out or getting too dark. This will also help retain moisture and tenderness in your meat. You can unwrap your meat in the last hour of smoking to crisp up the bark or crust if you like.
- Spray or mop your meat with some liquid such as water, apple juice, vinegar, beer, etc. every hour or so to keep it moist and flavorful. This will also help create a nice glaze on your meat.
- Rest your meat for at least 10 minutes after removing it from the smoker before serving or slicing. This will allow the juices to redistribute throughout the meat and make it more succulent and tender.
The best practices to clean and store your Southern Pride Smoker
Cleaning and storing your device properly is important for maintaining its performance and longevity. Here are some best practices to follow:
- Clean your smoker after each use by following these steps:
- Turn off and unplug or disconnect it from the gas source.
- Let it cool down completely before cleaning.
- Remove any ashes or wood chips from the firebox and dispose of them safely.
- Remove any grease or food residue from the racks, drip pan, water pan, wood chip box, etc. using a scraper or a damp cloth.
- Wipe down the interior and exterior of your smoker with a mild detergent and water solution using a soft cloth or sponge. Do not use abrasive cleaners or scouring pads that might scratch or damage your smoker.
- Rinse off any soap residue with clean water and dry thoroughly with a towel or paper towel.
- Reassemble your parts and store them inside the chamber.
- Store your device in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight or moisture. If possible, cover your smoker with a protective cover to prevent dust or dirt buildup.
- Check your smoker regularly for any signs of wear or damage such as cracks, leaks, rust, etc. If you notice any problems, contact Southern Pride customer service for assistance.
What are Some Delicious Recipes You Can Make with Your Southern Pride Smoker?
Now that you know how to use and maintain your Southern Pride Smoker, you might be wondering what are some delicious recipes you can make with your smoker. The answer is: almost anything! You can smoke any type of meat, as well as other foods such as cheese, pizza, salmon, etc. The possibilities are endless. However, if you need some inspiration, here are some of my favorite recipes that you can try with your Southern Pride Smoker:
The classic barbecue staples: ribs, brisket, pulled pork, chicken, etc.
These are the dishes that most people think of when they hear the word “barbecue”. They are also some of the easiest and most satisfying to make with your Southern Pride Smoker. Here are some basic guidelines for smoking these classic barbecue staples:
- Ribs: Whether you prefer baby back ribs or spare ribs, you can’t go wrong with smoking them in your Southern Pride Smoker. Season them heavily with Rib Seasoning or your favorite rub, and smoke them at 325°F for about 3 hours (or until the meat pulls away from the bone) using Special Blend or Apple wood chips. Wrap them in foil or butcher paper after 2 hours to prevent them from drying out or getting too dark. Serve them with your favorite sauce and enjoy.
- Brisket: Brisket is one of the most challenging but rewarding cuts of meat to smoke. It requires patience and attention to detail, but the result is worth it. Trim off any excess fat from your brisket and season it generously with SP Premium Blend Seasoning or your favorite rub. Smoke it at 240°F for about 12 hours (or until the internal temperature reaches 195°F) using SP Special Blend or Mesquite wood chips. Wrap it in foil or butcher paper after 8 hours to keep it moist and tender. Let it rest for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Pulled pork: Pulled pork is one of the most versatile and delicious smoked meats. You can use it for sandwiches, tacos, salads, nachos, etc. Choose a pork shoulder or butt and season it liberally with SP Premium Blend Seasoning or your favorite rub. Smoke it at 240°F for about 10 hours (or until the internal temperature reaches 190°F) using SP Special Blend or Hickory wood chips. Wrap it in foil or butcher paper after 6 hours to preserve the juices and flavor. Let it rest for at least 20 minutes before pulling and shredding it with your hands or forks.
- Chicken: Chicken is one of the easiest and fastest meats to process. It also absorbs the smoke flavor very well and stays juicy and tender. Choose a whole chicken or chicken parts and season them lightly with SP Premium Blend Seasoning or your favorite rub. Smoke them at 325°F for about 2 hours (or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F) using SP Special Blend or Apple wood chips. You can also brine your chicken before smoking for extra flavor and moisture.
The creative BBQ dishes: smoked cheese, pizza, salmon, etc.
If you want to try something different and fun with your Southern Pride Smoker, you can also smoke some non-traditional barbecue dishes such as cheese, pizza, salmon, etc. These dishes will surprise and delight your guests with their unique and delicious flavors. Here are some examples of creative barbecue dishes you can make with your Southern Pride Smoker:
- Smoked cheese: This is a great appetizer or snack that you can make with any type of cheese you like. Cut your cheese into small pieces and place them on a perforated pan or a rack inside your smoker. Smoke them at 200°F for about an hour using SP Special Blend or Apple wood chips. You can also add some herbs or spices to your cheese for extra flavor. Let your cheese cool down completely before serving or storing.
- Smoked pizza: It’s a fun and easy way to make pizza at home. You can use any pizza dough, sauce, cheese, and toppings you like. Stretch your dough into a thin circle and place it on a pizza stone or a baking sheet inside your smoker. Spread your sauce evenly over the dough and sprinkle your cheese and toppings over it. Smoke it at 325°F for about 15 minutes using SP Special Blend or Apple wood chips. Cut into slices and enjoy.
- Smoked salmon: This is a healthy and delicious dish that you can make with fresh or frozen salmon fillets. Season your salmon with salt, pepper, lemon juice, dill, garlic, and honey. Smoke them at 200°F for about an hour using SP Special Blend or Apple wood chips. You can also glaze your salmon with some maple syrup or honey in the last 15 minutes of smoking for a sweet and sticky finish.
The mouthwatering BBQ sauces and rubs: sweet, spicy, tangy, etc.
No barbecue is complete without some delicious sauces and rubs to enhance the flavor of your smoked meat. You can use store-bought sauces and rubs or make your own with some simple ingredients and spices. Here are some examples of BBQ sauces and rubs you can make:
- Sweet and smoky BBQ sauce: This is a classic sauce that goes well with any type of meat. To make it, you will need ketchup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until thickened. You can also add some liquid smoke or smoked salt for extra smokiness.
- Spicy and tangy BBQ sauce: This sauce has a kick of heat and a burst of tanginess. To make it, you will need ketchup, apple cider vinegar, honey, mustard, hot sauce, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until thickened. You can also add some chipotle peppers or cayenne pepper for extra heat.
- Southern Pride Rib Seasoning: This is a ready-made seasoning that you can use to rub on your ribs before smoking them. It has a balanced blend of salt, sugar, paprika, garlic, onion, black pepper, and other spices that will give your ribs a delicious flavor and color. You can buy it online or from your local SP dealer.
- Southern Pride Premium Blend Seasoning: This is another ready-made seasoning that you can use to season any type of meat before smoking it. It has a savory blend of salt, garlic, onion, black pepper, parsley, rosemary, thyme, and other herbs that will give your meat a savory and aromatic flavor.
A Southern Pride Smoker is a great investment for anyone who loves barbecue and wants to make it at home or for their business. It is a high-quality, reliable, and versatile machine that can cook large amounts of meat with consistent quality and flavor. It is also easy to use and maintain and can produce some delicious recipes that will impress your guests and customers. If you are interested in buying one, you can contact Southern Pride customer service or visit their website for more information. You can also check out their online store for some Southern Pride gear and flavors. Spare Parts are also available on Amazon. Remember, when you cook with a Southern Pride Smoker, you are #CookingWithPride.
Ccooking with a Southern Pride smoker is not just about the food—it’s about the experience. Enjoy the journey, embrace the flavors, and savor the satisfaction of creating mouthwatering barbecue that will delight your taste buds and impress your guests. Happy grilling!
How do I know which model of Southern Pride Smoker is right for me?
You should consider your capacity, space, budget, and preference when choosing a model of Southern Pride Smoker. You can also consult the customer service or visit their website for guidance.
How do I order a Southern Pride Smoker?
You can order a Southern Pride Smoker online or by phone from Southern Pride customer service. You can also find a local dealer near you by visiting their website.
How long does it take to receive my Southern Pride Smoker?
It depends on the availability of the model you ordered and the shipping method you chose. Generally, it takes about 4 to 6 weeks to receive your device.
How do I contact Southern Pride customer service?
You can contact their customer service by phone at 1-800-851-8180 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit their website at www.southernpride.com for more information.
Can I leave my Southern Pride smoker unattended during the cooking process?
While Southern Pride smokers are designed to be reliable and offer consistent temperature control, it is generally recommended to monitor the cooking process. Regularly check the temperature, add wood or charcoal as needed, and ensure the meat is cooking evenly. Attending to your smoker ensures the best results and prevents any potential issues.
Are Southern Pride smokers suitable for beginners?
Yes, they are suitable for beginners and experienced BBQ enthusiasts alike. Their user-friendly design, advanced temperature control mechanisms, and reliable performance make them accessible and easy to use for anyone passionate about smoking meat.